SaltWire's Ask a Journalist: You have questions, let's find some ...
The latest weather columns and browse beautiful photos from Cindy Day
SaltWire's cartoonists bring heart and humour to the news.
NOW Atlantic: Smart thinking for a changing world
The latest on Nova Scotia's mass shooting
What you need to know about COVID-19: June 3
Visit SaltWire.com for more of the stories you want.
Weather, school closures, road and travel conditions, power outages, and more
The #Nor'easter has arrived & it's going to be wild. Snow will change to freezing rain then to rain this PM on the Avalon; parts of E NL will get close to 40 cm of snow by Wednesday AM. The wind will G100 km/h. My detailed time-line is coming up at 10:30 @StJohnsTelegram #Storm pic.twitter.com/1gmG5zc5T2— Cindy Day (@CindyDayWeather) January 15, 2019
My thoughts on precip amounts Tuesday into Tue overnight/early Wed AM— Kelly Butt (@kellymbutt) January 14, 2019
Heaviest snow falls between Gander to just west of Clarenville.
Some brief mixing is possible for Clarenville, Burin & parts of the Bonavista Pen.
Snow to ice to rain & risk of frz rain on the Avalon.#NLwx pic.twitter.com/5V2U2jAR6e
• Nothing to report
College of the North Atlantic
• Burin, Bonavista, Clarenville and Carbonear campuses will be closed for the day. Gander and Grand Falls-Windsor campuses will close for the day at 12:30 p.m.
Here are the latest images from the highway cameras on the Burin Peninsula. Equipment has been out over the last few hours, but motorists are advised to drive to conditions. #nltraffic pic.twitter.com/otcYwPw3qM— Transportation & Works NL (@TW_GovNL) January 15, 2019
Travel Alert – January 15: Vancouver (YVR), Victoria (YYJ), Penticton (YYF), Nanaimo (YCD), Comox (YQQ) & Gander (YQX). Details, Flight Status & rebook online. Change fees waived: https://t.co/fuCj1d9VMn— Air Canada (@AirCanada) January 15, 2019
With nasty weather on the way this morning, we are watching the electricity system closely. Our crews are ready if you need us. Keep safety top of mind as the system passes. pic.twitter.com/NMTA8a6upR— Newfoundland Power (@NFPower) January 15, 2019
Closures, cancellations, delayed openings
• St. James United Church “Cross and Bean” postponed until Tuesday, Jan. 22 at 7 p.m.
Off the Avalon
• Government of N.L. Children, Seniors and Social Development (CSSD) office in Conne River closed for the morning. No update timeline provided.
• Pre-budget consultation session in Marystown scheduled for today has been rescheduled to Tuesday, Jan. 29, from 7-9 p.m. at the Marystown Hotel and Convention Centre, 180-190 Ville Marie Drive, Marystown.
• N.L. Legal Aid Clarenville and Carbonear office will be closed for the remainder of today
• N.L. Public Libraries in Grand Bank, Carbonear, Holyrood, Southern Harbour, Garnish, Bonavista are closed for the day.
More to come