Top News

Three new cases of COVID-19 brings total to 21 in Newfoundland and Labrador

One new case of COVID-19 has been recorded in Newfoundland and Labrador, according to Friday's update.
Sunday marks the sixth consecutive day with new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador. - File image

All new cases in Western Health region

In a Sunday afternoon news release, the Department of Health said there are three new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Western Health region. 

This brings the total number of cases in the province to 21, and marks the sixth consecutive day with new reported cases in the province.

The first new case is a man between 30-39 years old who is a resident of the province and lives in the same household as a previous known case. 

The second is a woman between 60-69 years old who is a resident of the province and a close contact of a previous known case. 

Both cases are related to the recent cluster in the Western Health region.

The third is a man between 40-49 years old who is a rotational worker from the province recently returned from Alberta. This case is not related to the recent cluster in Western Health.

They are all self-isolating and contact tracing is underway, with anyone considered a close contact advised to quarantine.

Sunday’s update also said both people who were previously hospitalized due to the virus were released this weekend, so there is now no one in hospital with COVID-19. 

Meanwhile, a public health investigation into the source of the infection for the second case in Western Health on Friday is completed. It was found that the person was a close contact of a traveller who returned from work in Alberta.

Five of the six cases identified in Western Health this week are connected.

“The department is reassuring the public that Public Health officials are actively identifying, notifying, and testing all close contacts associated with these recent cases,” reads the news release. 

“Anyone considered a close contact will be notified by Public Health and advised to quarantine. People should know they will only be contacted by Public Health if they are considered a close contact.”

On Saturday, the Department of Health announced Premier Andrew Furey, Health Minister John Haggie and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Janice Fitzgerald will make announcements about COVID-19 in a briefing on Monday. 

Guidance on travel to Nova Scotia

As second waves of COVID-19 are ongoing around the world, public health officials in this province are recommending against non-essential travel. 

As well, public health has guidance for people in this province about travel to Nova Scotia in light of Saturday’s travel-related case.

“If travel to Nova Scotia is essential, people must follow any and all Public Health guidelines in effect in Nova Scotia,” reads the news release.

“While in that province, people should limit their close contacts to as few as possible, avoid large gatherings and crowded public places, maintain physical distancing, wear a mask as needed, practice frequent and proper hand hygiene, and practice proper respiratory etiquette.

“People travelling to Nova Scotia should also be aware of potential exposures to the virus in certain locations identified by Public Health in that province.”

Anyone returning to Newfoundland and Labrador from Nova Scotia should not attend any gatherings, avoid crowded public places, and wear a mask when in contact with people outside their household bubble for the first 14 days after arrival. 

The department said public health officials continue to monitor the situation in the Atlantic region, and if the situation changes, further measures may need to be implemented. However, for now the province remains a part of the Atlantic bubble.

To date, 294 people have recovered from the virus and 58,980 people have been tested. 

[email protected]


 

Did this story inform or enhance your perspective on this subject?
1 being least likely, and 10 being most likely

Recent Stories