Belle DeMont’s love of visual storytelling brought her to the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, where she completed her BFA focusing on drawing. Belle has also published two books: I Love My Purse, which she wrote, and The Little Tree by the Sea, which she illustrated. Visit her online at belle-demont.squarespace.com.
1. What makes you proud to say you live in Atlantic Canada?
The shared values.
2. What inspires your creative process?
3. What do you hope your legacy will be?
The perogie kids which are the cartoon characters I draw. Find me on Instagram! @perogieprincess
4. What is the best piece of advice you’ve received so far?
Draw every day.
5. Tell us something unexpected about yourself ...
I make miniature houses out of recycled material as a hobby.
6. What is a common misconception about millennials that you disagree with?
That we lack motivation. All my friends are working multiple jobs while taking their master’s degree. (Which they now need to get their careers going.)
7. If you had to pick, what’s your spirit animal?
A bug of some sort.
8. What’s one thing that scares you?
9. What’s your favourite way to support local?
Eating kebabs at Efes Turkish Cuisine and pizza at Rinaldo’s! Yummm.
10. Will whine about ...
We will need to protest a lot more than plastic straws if we want to help this poor planet!
11. Will wine about ...