SPRINGHILL, N.S. — Police in northern Nova Scotia confirmed Thursday that the two bodies pulled from a fire-damaged rural home earlier this week were that of a 45-year-old woman and a 42-year-old man.
The RCMP issued a brief statement saying their investigation into the suspicious fire is continuing, but released no other details.
Cpl. Dal Hutchinson said they were not looking for suspects, but would not elaborate. He said he wanted to clarify that there was not a threat to public safety.
"We do not have any suspects and we are not looking for any suspects," he said.
Firefighters were dispatched to Beaton's Lane on the western outskirts of Springhill on Tuesday just before 4:30 p.m.
Springhill fire Chief Stanley Hunter has said the fire broke out in the basement of the recently purchased two-storey home, which was under renovation at the time. Hutchison would not say where the bodies were found. He said the deceased have been identified and their next of kin have been notified.
Hunter said more than two dozen firefighters from Springhill were called to the scene, but none of them knew who owned the small home.
The fire damaged the inside of the home, but the flames were extinguished quickly and the outside of the house was left relatively untouched.
Nova Scotia's Office of the Fire Marshal and the Medical Examiner's Service have been called in, but the scene remained under the control of the RCMP's major crime unit.
The Canadian Press