A man police believed to have been responsible for stabbing another man in a downtown home Monday night was held by police, but released shortly after.
“We detained him as we believed him to be involved, but there were no further grounds to conclude he was,” RNC Const. James Cadigan told The Telegram Tuesday.
“We’re still looking into it.”
The RNC responded to a report of a disturbance at a residence on Barter’s Hill just after midnight (early Tuesday morning).
Inside the home, officers found a 25-year-old man who had sustained stab wounds. He was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries, believed to be non-life threatening.
The man responsible had reportedly ran off before police got there. Officers looked for the man, but couldn’t find him.
However, a short time later, a man believed to have been involved in the incident was located and positively identified by investigators. Cadigan said there is no perceived risk to public safety, as the people involved in this incident know each other.
“However, we do understand these kind of incidents can be quite alarming to residents and we want to work with the community,” Cadigan said. “People who want to reach out and provide information to help us keep community safe, we’re available.”
It’s the second stabbing in the last week in the downtown area of the capital city. On Tuesday, Sept. 6, 27-year-old Cyrus Clarke was stabbing on Livingstone Street, near Carter’s Hill. He died Friday in hospital.
“There’s no information that leads us to believe that these two incidents are linked,” said Cadigan, who noted the investigations are ongoing.
Anyone with information about either of these incidents is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Information can also be provided anonymously on the NL Crime Stoppers Website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.