I am writing regarding the article in The Telegram March 11 edition about the carbon monoxide leak at the Bussey Horwood Arena in St. John’s.
In the article Pat Yetman Jr. mention the ice rink was up to code by having carbon monoxide detectors in the equipment room and, I think, Zamboni room.
As an avid hockey watcher I took for granted that there were carbon monoxide detectors in the areas where the players play and spectators watch but I am mistaken. This would only make sense with the Zamboni running in this area every hour for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
You also think the detectors would have to be in the dressing rooms and warm-room areas. It is recommended to have smoke detectors through your house why should it be any different for ice rinks? If it is not code to have carbon monoxide detectors throughout the arena, then the code needs to change.
In the meantime, I think it’s time all the Zambonis be changed out over a period of time to electric Zamboni's.